Sunday, September 8, 2013

A view from my park bench

So I have decided that although college is NOT my first adventure- it is my grandest by means of beauty and challenge.  
The other day I sat on a bench in a patch of grass in the center of campus.  It was a hot day and my feet were about ready to fall off.  Under the shade of a tree whose leaves were just beginning to turn for autumn, I sat and watched.  I watched scared people searching for classes, frantic people calling their families, alma maters reliving fleeting memories, and returning students reuniting with old friends.  
And the longer I sat, the larger the magnitude of Earth's population grew, until it far surpassed my previous scope of vision.  
Our world is so vast, and shared by people with completely different perspectives.  However, we all depend upon the same basic needs.  And although I had seen this in Cambodia- I guess you could say I re-realized this truth.  That a world exists outside of myself.  Who would have thought?  Apparently the high school mentality is becoming uprooted.  For a mind as small and inexperienced as my own, this is a milestone.  And I think that is what the greatest adventure in life is.  Realizing that it's not all about your comfort, your needs, or your wants.  It's about what you can do to help others.  And Earth is a perfect place to look for people who are in need of something.  Particularly on a college campus.  After all-- we are all just trying our best here.  

Adventure: a bold, usually risky undertaking; hazardous action of uncertain outcome.

Bring it on.  

And for the record:  if you ever need a cleared head, organized thoughts, freshened perspective, slower blood pressure, stronger confidence, or just have sore feet-- grab a park bench.  It's my go to form of therapy.  Plus it's perfect for people-watching (which always has a way of making your problems feel really small in comparison to everyone else's).  


And now a shot of my favorite movie, featuring a park bench.  

1 comment:

  1. Guess who just found your blog?! Hope college is going well. Go cougars!

    ReplyDelete