Tuesday, December 17, 2013

snapshots

Sometimes we share moments that we want to freeze in time.  To hold a Polaroid photo of that feeling in our hands and remember it in its entirety even as it yellows and fades.  They are moments of epiphany, moments of joy, and moments of beauty.  When you hug your firstborn tight to your chest and breath in that feeling of love, anxiety, and peace all at the same time while standing in a dimly lit hospital room.  Or that second of delight when reach the summit of a long-awaited hike.  Often they are simple moments of togetherness-- when your family is all tucked tight in their beds while a gentle snow falls beyond the window.  I myself have moments such as these, and all contain the company and companionship of those I love.

Tonight I was reminded of those moments as I watched The Book Thief with my friend/roommate/blessing Kait.  It is late at night on the day before my last final, and probably the last place I should be is a movie theater.  But there we were, and there our hearts were changed.  There was beauty on the screen-- in color, speech, music, scenery, wardrobe, expression-- it was seemingly flawless in its simplicity.  The masterpiece brought us the fresh perspective we needed.  And that's my raving review of The Book Thief.  Do yourself a favor, and see it.



No comments:

Post a Comment